Skip to main content

Learning to breathe

"All rivers flow home," my teacher says, tilting back his head, gently closing his eyes, and with his hand resting ever so lightly at his solar plexus, I watch as the breath enters and exits, expansive in both measures. "Ah, yes," I say because I can see how this river comes home--straight to heart center--filling lungs and rib cage until it brushes up against the outside world. This, I think, is how we know we are in the world, our spirit coming and going endlessly in the river of the breath.

In the context of the Mysore room, my teacher's words and gestures are not dramatic. It is early morning dark and silent; so, his instruction is entirely authentic. Like stage direction in a dark theater, it is intimate, urgent, vital.

I am reminded of a radio interview I heard in November of the dancer and choreographer Twyla Tharp. At 74, Tharp sounded quite feisty, but sure of herself in a way that only age can grant. Naturally, I caught myself thinking throughout her interview how I would like to sound like Tharp when I reach that age. Able to say, like her, "Good for me!" in recognition of an observed truth shared with an audience that paid attention and understood.

While I am no dancer, I practice a discipline that keeps me close to this "art form with no artifact," as Tharp explained of dance and human movement. It occurred to me that Tharp's confidence--the sound of it that came across the airwaves--comes from an intimate awareness of her body in motion and the many other bodies in motion she has had some hand in training. But it is more than merely the body Tharp is addressing when she acknowledges that "human movement is the basis of all art." She knows very well the sound of her own breath and the unique beat of her own heart. This is what 50-plus years of dance have taught her. She knows the sound of her own independent heartbeat, which means that she knows who she is, her place in the world, and her responsibility as an artist.

At the beginning of her dancing career, Tharp danced in silence with a small band of dedicated, like-minded dancers. Women all, these young students of dance had very few extra funds and--in the earliest days--no place to practice. One of the women of the troupe turned out to be quite resourceful, and this resourcefulness translated into a fierce determination to find a room somewhere where these artists could practice their art. This art that leaves no tangible trace.

What this intrepid dancer found was a list generated by the city of condemned buildings. Naturally, no one would come looking to kick them out from such a place. So, it was in deserted and condemned structures across the landscape of the city where these dancers--in the early dark hours of the morning--practiced and attempted to perfect their art. For five years, they danced in all manner of condemned building and in silence. This, Tharp noted, is the best technique for learning how to listen to the beating of one's own heart, which in turn teaches a dancer about movement in her body. A good technique, but difficult to do day-after-day in silence, Tharp admitted.

When I heard this admission from Tharp, I thought of my ashtanga practice and my fellow tribe of ashtangis. While we do not have to practice in condemned structures, I imagine we would if there were no other available space. Like this troupe of dancers, we come together morning after morning in the darkness--and cold when it comes--to practice for two hours in silence. It is a room of human movement--the basis of all art according to Madame Tharp--and we are in training. We are learning to follow the river of our breath. We are learning how to listen to the beating of our hearts. Our focus is on the breath, and we learn slowly, incrementally over time, the sweet reward of such persistence and diligence. Tharp says, "It is your own determination that evaluates what you do," and I think, yes, determination is its own reward. There are other rewards, both subtle and profound; we pay for them with our silence, which is also the currency that allows the miracles to enter our lives. Like these dancers, this work teaches us what lies beneath our feet, how we stand in the world and what it feels like to occupy our rightful place even as the river of our breath--the bridge between our inner and outer worlds--flows constantly onward.

As far as I know, Norman Maclean did not practice yoga, and he was not a dancer. He was a writer, and pushing a pen across paper was the human movement of his art. During his career, he wrote a semi-autobiographical coming of age story called A River Runs Through It, and Robert Redford eventually made a movie out of it. Both these men, it turns out, have learned something about listening to the sound of their heartbeat. Maclean for writing these words in his story in the first place, and Redford for keeping every last one of them in the screenplay where we hear the author at the end of the film say:

“Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.”

Full body breathing is an extraordinary symphony of both powerful and subtle movements that massage our internal organs, oscillate our joints, and alternately tone and release all the muscles in the body. It is a full participation with life.
- Donna Farhi, The Breathing Book
- See more at: http://www.gaiamtv.com/article/anatomy-pranayama-understanding-our-breath#sthash.yublFhcZ.dpuf
Full body breathing is an extraordinary symphony of both powerful and subtle movements that massage our internal organs, oscillate our joints, and alternately tone and release all the muscles in the body. It is a full participation with life.
- Donna Farhi, The Breathing Book
- See more at: http://www.gaiamtv.com/article/anatomy-pranayama-understanding-our-breath#sthash.yublFhcZ.dpuf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The dawn's early light

My husband is not a morning person. In fact, he would say that getting up early is for the birds. And, of course, he'd be right. Every bird worth its weight in feathers knows that the early morning is the best time to harvest worms and to sing its ode to the dawn's early light. While I have no interest in competing with the birds for their morning grubs--as long as they leave enough for the garden--I am, nonetheless, one of the flock when it comes to paying tribute to the dawn. According to the latest evidence in sleep research, this penchant for the dawn makes me a "lark," a morning person, someone who feels she is capable of her best work in the morning. Those who burn the candle at the other end of the day are known as "owls" because they, like their nocturnal namesakes, tend to be more productive in the evening. I imagine that if I talked to enough "owls," I would find that, like me, they have a special reverence for their particular time o

When good practice goes bad

I often joke with friends that in my next life I am going to be a dancer. I have a dancer's build and a good sense of balance, and I have always held a soft spot for ballerinas, gymnasts, acrobats, and the lithe bodies of street performers and mimes. While I am not necessarily good at following direction backward in a mirror, I have a decent sense of rhythm and spent a fair number of nights as a young adult on a dance floor where I escaped alcohol and drugs by getting lost in movement. I have gravitated toward sports and activities that promote graceful lines, powerful energy and a feeling of expansiveness. One of the many things I love about rock climbing is that I often feel like a dancer moving across stone. The height, the airy terrain, the play of the wind in my hair all add to the allure and keep me returning for more. Yoga is a natural fit for someone who likes to dance. And the discipline of ashtanga appeals to the inner gymnast in me that never had a shot at the balance

Out on a Limb, Sunday, March 9: Gratitude with Diana Christinson

If you missed today's live broadcast of Out on a Limb , click on the link below to hear me in conversation with Ashtanga yoga teacher Diana Christinson of Pacific Ashtanga Yoga in Dana Point. Our theme today: Gratitude. We talk about learning how to tune in to the present moment to cultivate gratefulness in our lives, which, like our yoga practice, is an art, a practice, a dance. Listen as Diana gives instructions for how to conduct and navigate our own "Google Search" of our lives lived daily. Here is the link to today's podcast at KX @ One Laguna: http://kx.onelaguna.com/podcasts/ Here is the link to find Diana Christinson and her shala Pacific Ashtanga in Dana Point, CA: http://www.pacificashtanga.com/ Finally, here is the link to Brother David Steindl-Rast's website: http://www.gratefulness.org/ Next week: Sunday, March 16 at 2 p.m. Join me for live conversation with Earth Scape artist Andres Amador. We will talk about the "sacred geometry