Skip to main content

Lady chores and essential ingredients



Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope. –Maya Angelou


Until very recently, an endearing picture of a smiling Neem Karoli Baba greeted me from my computer’s home page. Every time I logged onto the computer that face was a reminder to me to be courageous and strong and tender. While I never had the good fortune to meet Neem Karoli Baba when he was alive, I have read and heard stories of him from some of his more celebrated Western disciples, including Krishna Das, the kirtan singer; Lama Surya Das, the American lama and author who started out as a Jewish kid from Long Island; and Baba Ram Dass, formerly known as Timothy Leary’s partner in LSD research and experimentation at Harvard, Richard Alpert. To a person, these men speak reverently of Neem Karoli Baba or Maharaji, as they affectionately refer to their teacher. According to them, to be in his presence was to be in the presence of capital “L” Love: unconditional, unfailing, absolute. 

It is because of Neem Karoli Baba that I became acquainted with and devoted to the monkey god Hanuman. Hanuman’s story is not unlike one of Joseph Campbell’s mythic hero’s journeys. The short version is that Hanuman was born with great powers. In a single leap, he could travel great distances, in fact, to the sun and back. Hanuman’s talents—and pride—angered the gods, and he was wounded. Later, Hanuman had to be reminded of his powers when he was called upon to save the two people he loved most in the world, the Hindu god and goddess Rama and Sita. His love for Rama and Sita was like the love Neem Karoli Baba shared with all of the young, wayward pilgrims who traveled great distances to be with him during the 60s and until his death in 1973. In one of his earliest books, Awakening to the Sacred, Lama Surya Das recounts the time that a group of Western disciples was seated with Maharaji in his ashram listening to another holy man read from the epic poem the Ramayana. The poem is a sacred text in India and tells the story of Hanuman’s devotion to Rama and Sita. As the holy man read about Hanuman’s love for the pair and his feats of courage and strength expended for their benefit, Maharaji was so overcome with emotion that he ran from the room, tears streaming down his face (p. 135-137). 

Once, when Krishna Das asked Maharaji how to know God, Maharaji told him to serve others. The Dalai Lama imparts a similar lesson over and over again in the pages of his many books and during his extensive lecture tours. Life is a matter of the heart. If we wish to cultivate more happiness in our lives, the key lies in being of service to others. At no other time during the year is this teaching brought home to me more than at the holidays. From November through January, my kitchen becomes a vehicle for spreading the love. I imagine it is the same in many kitchens around the world. For this reason, I have been thinking a lot about a phrase I heard in a radio interview on my drive to my yoga practice the other morning. The actress Tracee Ellis Ross, who Sunday night won a Golden Globe Award for her role in the television sitcom Blackish, was talking about the off-screen work she does to prepare for her performance in Blackish. In the show, Ross is a working Mom—an accomplished doctor. But when she returns home, she returns to the quotidian chores of the home as well. In the interview, Ross was recounting a scene from a recent episode in which she is chopping vegetables in the kitchen while she and her husband are engaged in an important discussion. Ross tells her host that this is a common theme, her character chopping vegetables while in a heated exchange with her husband. Here she asks a rhetorical question, “Why does my character always have to be doing ‘lady chores’ during these talks”?

I get it. And I am not an actress of any kind not to mention an award-winning actress interested in making her character continually relevant to her audience. It is not easy to go to work every day only to return home to more work and more people who need and want you to do things for them. I get it. I get it. I get it. But I also get how we, as in women, have learned to dismiss this other work that, let’s face it, mostly women tend to do. Ross did, in fact, say as much in this interview. Lots of women are working women and lots of women who are mothers also work outside of the home. And, when we return home, an entirely different world of work is awaiting us there. Women are largely responsible for completing all kinds of other work, genuine labor in many cases, which goes unseen or is seen and quickly diminished or demeaned as menial or not real work. In other words, lady chores. Nevertheless, if our male counterparts cook dinner or do a load of laundry or go to the grocery store or make the doctor’s, dentist’s, school appointments for the kids, well, they have practically redefined Pi. Okay. Yes. I exaggerate. But the point is, in men’s hands, these jobs are transformed. They are seen for what they really are; work in the service of others. 

Viewed through this lens, we learn to appreciate this work—all the ‘lady chores’—and the people who perform it. We do not take it for granted. Instead, we marvel at the well-stocked kitchen shelves that can assist in delivering to the table just what we wanted to eat. The stack of neatly folded clothes is a sculpture, a one-of-a-kind architectural structure. Chopping vegetables is an act that keeps us grounded, present, and grateful, particularly in light of all that we cannot control in our lives. In fact, the kitchen and the daily chores I perform in it have restored my sense of the ordinary and how sacred it is. Time, and how we choose to spend it, is the true cathedral, the real church of our lives. 

There is a Haitian saying, which goes like this: “God gives, but he does not share.” Sharing is our task, and has been since Kindergarten. And I continue to learn this simple lesson. Like recently, when I discovered that my neighbors were fighting the flu again this holiday season, I made them a pot of red lentil soup. My neighbor thought it was the best soup she had ever eaten. In my mind, I thought of the many, many, many times I have made this soup for dinner, and I had to fight the urge—in keeping with my ‘lady chores’ observation—to render it as nothing special. Instead, I promised my neighbor that I would not only share the recipe with her, but I would, as she enthusiastically suggested, incorporate it, along with other homemade gems I have shared with her and others, into my blog. 

And why not? If my yoga and meditation practice has taught me anything, it has taught me how to bring more joy into my life and, subsequently, the lives of those I meet along the path. Sharing good food is a great way to put more joy into the world. Last year, I compiled a dozen recipes into a slim volume, wrote an introduction and added the poem by Linda Pastan, To a Daughter Leaving Home, and presented it to two seniors who had been good friends of my daughter’s from the time she was a freshman. I entitled the introduction to this cookbook “A Word about Essential Ingredients.” Here is a paragraph from that introduction: 

There are 12 recipes in this slim volume and one poem. Many of these recipes I made during your cross-country training season in Mammoth the summer of 2016. A few, like the recipe for Ana’s Snickerdoodles, were added because they have never failed to make someone happy. And, there it is. The reason I have come to enjoy spending time in the kitchen making meals and special dishes for my family and friends. The results make people happy. 

Working in the kitchen has taught me how to share the bounty we have been given. Every time I bring brownies or granola or gingerbread or lemon bars to share with my fellow yogis after practice, or soup to a neighbor in need, I am extending that lesson I learned in Kindergarten. If we look at love as a means of making others happy instead of a checklist of what have you done for me lately, then all of our chores, lady or otherwise, are simply a way for us to spread it around abundantly. 

Neem Karoli Baba

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The dawn's early light

My husband is not a morning person. In fact, he would say that getting up early is for the birds. And, of course, he'd be right. Every bird worth its weight in feathers knows that the early morning is the best time to harvest worms and to sing its ode to the dawn's early light. While I have no interest in competing with the birds for their morning grubs--as long as they leave enough for the garden--I am, nonetheless, one of the flock when it comes to paying tribute to the dawn. According to the latest evidence in sleep research, this penchant for the dawn makes me a "lark," a morning person, someone who feels she is capable of her best work in the morning. Those who burn the candle at the other end of the day are known as "owls" because they, like their nocturnal namesakes, tend to be more productive in the evening. I imagine that if I talked to enough "owls," I would find that, like me, they have a special reverence for their particular time o

Out on a Limb, Sunday, March 9: Gratitude with Diana Christinson

If you missed today's live broadcast of Out on a Limb , click on the link below to hear me in conversation with Ashtanga yoga teacher Diana Christinson of Pacific Ashtanga Yoga in Dana Point. Our theme today: Gratitude. We talk about learning how to tune in to the present moment to cultivate gratefulness in our lives, which, like our yoga practice, is an art, a practice, a dance. Listen as Diana gives instructions for how to conduct and navigate our own "Google Search" of our lives lived daily. Here is the link to today's podcast at KX @ One Laguna: http://kx.onelaguna.com/podcasts/ Here is the link to find Diana Christinson and her shala Pacific Ashtanga in Dana Point, CA: http://www.pacificashtanga.com/ Finally, here is the link to Brother David Steindl-Rast's website: http://www.gratefulness.org/ Next week: Sunday, March 16 at 2 p.m. Join me for live conversation with Earth Scape artist Andres Amador. We will talk about the "sacred geometry

When good practice goes bad

I often joke with friends that in my next life I am going to be a dancer. I have a dancer's build and a good sense of balance, and I have always held a soft spot for ballerinas, gymnasts, acrobats, and the lithe bodies of street performers and mimes. While I am not necessarily good at following direction backward in a mirror, I have a decent sense of rhythm and spent a fair number of nights as a young adult on a dance floor where I escaped alcohol and drugs by getting lost in movement. I have gravitated toward sports and activities that promote graceful lines, powerful energy and a feeling of expansiveness. One of the many things I love about rock climbing is that I often feel like a dancer moving across stone. The height, the airy terrain, the play of the wind in my hair all add to the allure and keep me returning for more. Yoga is a natural fit for someone who likes to dance. And the discipline of ashtanga appeals to the inner gymnast in me that never had a shot at the balance