Skip to main content

But holiness is visible, entirely

This is how most mornings begin. It is dark outside and very early, and I am already outside in the dark with the dog. It is too early even to admit to the time. I try not to think about it. Instead, I encourage my dog in soft, sharp whispers, to get to the business at hand.

Hurry go, I repeat.

It is a command I picked up in the puppy papers we were given when we first brought our young dog home almost four years ago. I convince myself that it is a useful command when our dog dispenses with matters quickly. When he is stubborn about getting the job done, I feel foolish. And annoyed.

Hurry go, hurry go, hurry go. After so many times, you have to laugh at yourself and the dog and your situation. More often, and unfortunately, I do not because I begin to feel pressed for time, which seems the more laughable notion, really, because, as I have mentioned, it is very early.

This is how most mornings begin before I leave for practice. They begin with this ritual with the dog. It is the trade-off I have tacitly arranged with my husband, so that I feel less guilty about his complete willingness to drive our daughter to school every morning while I am at practice. Before my daughter started taking command of her lunches, this predawn ritual also included the preparation of food. When it is this early, every delay to getting out the door is poised to make me want to retreat to bed, which does happen. But everything changes. Next year, my daughter will be able to drive herself to school; and the dog, I predict, will enjoy the idea of sleeping in before going out later in the morning with my husband to tend to its daily routines. This steady set of excuses will recede, and I imagine that every once in a while, I will miss the chance to use one of them. Instead, I will be forced to admit to fatigue or to the desire to lie in bed and wake to watch the sun color the sky outside the bedroom window.

In other words, the practice will keep me honest.

And, this, after all, is the real draw. As brutal and as beautiful as honesty can be, it is the only genuine game in town to commit oneself to entirely. Perhaps I recognize this because I have lived long enough; I have learned something from my many years about how to live with myself--and with myself with others--in the world. But I do believe this practice has burnished the edges; it has helped me to shine or, at the very least, to shine a light in the darker spaces I would otherwise choose to dismiss. I have come to trust my practice like a good, true friend.

"Yoga," Pattabhi Jois wrote in Yoga Mala, his handbook on the nature of the ashtanga yoga practice, "signifies the means to the realization of one's true nature." The longer I practice, the more I know the truth of this in my body, in my posture, in my breath. "In all the works of Beethoven, you will not find a single lie," writes Mary Oliver in her latest volume of poems. And it is just like Oliver's pure belief in Beethoven's work that I believe in the truth of Raja Yoga. It is the royal path to both internal and eternal kingdoms.

As a mentor to W.S. Merwin in the days before he had even begun to read, Merwin's own confession, the poet John Berryman told Merwin to forget about wondering if your writing is any good at all. Merwin records the exchange of this counsel in a poem he eventually wrote and entitled "Berryman."

"You can't you can never be sure
you die without knowing
whether anything you wrote was any good
if you have to be sure don't write."

In time, W.S. Merwin became U.S. Poet Laureate. Today, Merwin is 88. He lives close to the earth, guardian of a paradise of trees, which he has assiduously planted on his portion of paradise on the island of Maui. Like George Harrison did elsewhere. I think of these trees and of Merwin and of Oliver's recent admission about the truth to be discovered in Beethoven, and I recognize that we are kin in having found something we know to be good. Because while we may not ever be sure of those things we are not ever meant to be sure of--like God, or the gods, who are understandably invisible, according to Oliver--holiness, my dear Oliver asserts (and thank God for that) is entirely visible.

I am witness to it every day in my practice, in my community of practitioners, in my teacher's gentle, but firm instruction to pay attention to the very finest details of the pose, beginning with the way my fingers still grip the mat. Let go. You can never be sure, but trust the holiness that is visible, entirely.

Eternally.

You will not find a single lie.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The dawn's early light

My husband is not a morning person. In fact, he would say that getting up early is for the birds. And, of course, he'd be right. Every bird worth its weight in feathers knows that the early morning is the best time to harvest worms and to sing its ode to the dawn's early light. While I have no interest in competing with the birds for their morning grubs--as long as they leave enough for the garden--I am, nonetheless, one of the flock when it comes to paying tribute to the dawn. According to the latest evidence in sleep research, this penchant for the dawn makes me a "lark," a morning person, someone who feels she is capable of her best work in the morning. Those who burn the candle at the other end of the day are known as "owls" because they, like their nocturnal namesakes, tend to be more productive in the evening. I imagine that if I talked to enough "owls," I would find that, like me, they have a special reverence for their particular time o

When good practice goes bad

I often joke with friends that in my next life I am going to be a dancer. I have a dancer's build and a good sense of balance, and I have always held a soft spot for ballerinas, gymnasts, acrobats, and the lithe bodies of street performers and mimes. While I am not necessarily good at following direction backward in a mirror, I have a decent sense of rhythm and spent a fair number of nights as a young adult on a dance floor where I escaped alcohol and drugs by getting lost in movement. I have gravitated toward sports and activities that promote graceful lines, powerful energy and a feeling of expansiveness. One of the many things I love about rock climbing is that I often feel like a dancer moving across stone. The height, the airy terrain, the play of the wind in my hair all add to the allure and keep me returning for more. Yoga is a natural fit for someone who likes to dance. And the discipline of ashtanga appeals to the inner gymnast in me that never had a shot at the balance

Out on a Limb, Sunday, March 9: Gratitude with Diana Christinson

If you missed today's live broadcast of Out on a Limb , click on the link below to hear me in conversation with Ashtanga yoga teacher Diana Christinson of Pacific Ashtanga Yoga in Dana Point. Our theme today: Gratitude. We talk about learning how to tune in to the present moment to cultivate gratefulness in our lives, which, like our yoga practice, is an art, a practice, a dance. Listen as Diana gives instructions for how to conduct and navigate our own "Google Search" of our lives lived daily. Here is the link to today's podcast at KX @ One Laguna: http://kx.onelaguna.com/podcasts/ Here is the link to find Diana Christinson and her shala Pacific Ashtanga in Dana Point, CA: http://www.pacificashtanga.com/ Finally, here is the link to Brother David Steindl-Rast's website: http://www.gratefulness.org/ Next week: Sunday, March 16 at 2 p.m. Join me for live conversation with Earth Scape artist Andres Amador. We will talk about the "sacred geometry