Skip to main content

Believe before you see

I read horoscopes and fortune cookie fortunes for the same reason I will occasionally follow a car in order to decode its cleverly arranged license plate message. I want some reassurance, some good old-fashioned comfort, a reminder from the universe that I am on the right track, that everything's going to be okay, that Meher Baba was right when he said "Don't worry, be happy." It really is that simple. I figure that I am not alone in divining wisdom from such talisman because newspapers, which seem to be short on space for news anymore, continue to provide valuable column inches to printing horoscopes.

Trust has been a challenge for me for much of the new year. Big changes loom, and while a part of me recognizes the inevitability of change and understands, too, the necessity for these changes in particular, another part of me is caught up in worries about security and identity. When I recently read BLVB4UC on a license plate, I took it as a sign to have a little faith. Naturally, that only lasted long enough for my inner doubting Thomas to wake up and pose his well-worn question: Is it really that simple?

I always laugh when Indiana Jones, the character that Harrison Ford popularized in the Spielberg movies by the same name, must make a leap of faith to save his dying father by walking across a chasm that provides no visible means of passage. It appears as though he will have to walk on air. It comes down to this. Indiana Jones must believe in order to cross. We see his moment of doubt. The panic registers in his face. Then, resolved, he grips his chest in the region of his heart, and takes the plunge. He steps off into the unknown, and voila, the net appears. As I said, I always laugh, but maybe it is that straightforward.

"Leap and a net will appear," and yet, there I stand, legs like cement, not knowing where I am supposed to go next. It dawns on me that maybe this is the whole point. This uncertainty. I am not meant to know where I am going, only that it's time to go. Unfortunately, I have been trained to know, to plan, to prepare, to expertly execute forever my next move. I should be emboldened by the universe's attempts in the past couple of years to dismantle every well-intended plan I had with regard to my teaching career. The truth is, I have been miserable for a long time. A career in teaching seemed to be doomed from the start for me, but I have, nonetheless, limped along for years, convincing myself over and over that my efforts and commitment would soon be rewarded. I look back now on almost 20 years of this sort of talk when I knew early on that my heart was never convinced that this was the career for me.

Forget, for a moment, that I feel disappointed. I feel a lot more foolish. What have I learned? That limping should never be a substitute for leaping, and that just because I am a good teacher does not mean that teaching is a good fit for me. Look at that. Two succinct lessons. I should be happy about that. I am not unhappy, but what I am is very scared. Funny thing is that all these years later, the same fear that initially drove me into the teaching profession is the fear I now face as my teaching career wanes. What is that fear? Money.

Such a low bar, huh? I have to ask myself whether I have learned anything from my yoga practice about addressing this tired old fear, not to mention the low-level anxiety I feel about charting a new career path at my age. Itay's axiom returns to me: "Trust will take you a long way." It's another version of taking the leap, of believing before you see. When life is running smoothly, it sounds plausible, simple, natural even. Relaxing into it when I'm up against the wall, that is something else entirely.

I must remember to write author Rolf Gates a letter one day to thank him for writing his book Meditations from the Mat because I find myself going back to it again and again when I am stumbling or struggling or confused about some new lesson that is working its way through to me. Gates had a career in the military before he became a yoga teacher. His book is full of lessons he learned from experiences he had while serving in the U.S. Army. He shares the following military joke in one of his entries: "It is always 3 a.m., raining, and you are at the intersection of two maps, when your country needs you most." One of the lessons this joke is intended to teach, Gates explains, is not to assign difficulty too much importance. I think, yes, that is what fear does. It assigns importance to difficulty. The other lesson embedded in this expression is the reminder that we must adjust our ideal in order to accommodate real life. Real life is messy. Work is not always going to be fulfilling. Family life is going to have its share of ups and downs. When things do not work out according to plan--and let's face it, they often do not--I have to be brave enough to forget the plan and trust the process, anyway. In other words, believe before I see.






Comments

  1. Thank you for reminding me that uncertainty is a path too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The dawn's early light

My husband is not a morning person. In fact, he would say that getting up early is for the birds. And, of course, he'd be right. Every bird worth its weight in feathers knows that the early morning is the best time to harvest worms and to sing its ode to the dawn's early light. While I have no interest in competing with the birds for their morning grubs--as long as they leave enough for the garden--I am, nonetheless, one of the flock when it comes to paying tribute to the dawn. According to the latest evidence in sleep research, this penchant for the dawn makes me a "lark," a morning person, someone who feels she is capable of her best work in the morning. Those who burn the candle at the other end of the day are known as "owls" because they, like their nocturnal namesakes, tend to be more productive in the evening. I imagine that if I talked to enough "owls," I would find that, like me, they have a special reverence for their particular time o

When good practice goes bad

I often joke with friends that in my next life I am going to be a dancer. I have a dancer's build and a good sense of balance, and I have always held a soft spot for ballerinas, gymnasts, acrobats, and the lithe bodies of street performers and mimes. While I am not necessarily good at following direction backward in a mirror, I have a decent sense of rhythm and spent a fair number of nights as a young adult on a dance floor where I escaped alcohol and drugs by getting lost in movement. I have gravitated toward sports and activities that promote graceful lines, powerful energy and a feeling of expansiveness. One of the many things I love about rock climbing is that I often feel like a dancer moving across stone. The height, the airy terrain, the play of the wind in my hair all add to the allure and keep me returning for more. Yoga is a natural fit for someone who likes to dance. And the discipline of ashtanga appeals to the inner gymnast in me that never had a shot at the balance

Out on a Limb, Sunday, March 9: Gratitude with Diana Christinson

If you missed today's live broadcast of Out on a Limb , click on the link below to hear me in conversation with Ashtanga yoga teacher Diana Christinson of Pacific Ashtanga Yoga in Dana Point. Our theme today: Gratitude. We talk about learning how to tune in to the present moment to cultivate gratefulness in our lives, which, like our yoga practice, is an art, a practice, a dance. Listen as Diana gives instructions for how to conduct and navigate our own "Google Search" of our lives lived daily. Here is the link to today's podcast at KX @ One Laguna: http://kx.onelaguna.com/podcasts/ Here is the link to find Diana Christinson and her shala Pacific Ashtanga in Dana Point, CA: http://www.pacificashtanga.com/ Finally, here is the link to Brother David Steindl-Rast's website: http://www.gratefulness.org/ Next week: Sunday, March 16 at 2 p.m. Join me for live conversation with Earth Scape artist Andres Amador. We will talk about the "sacred geometry