Skip to main content

Our long moral arcs

I have to remind myself when our youngest daughter comes home from school with a fresh from the front report about some eighth grade injustice she experienced that day to give her story time to settle around her before I offer any comments. It is her story, after all. I haven't been in eighth grade for a long time. Even though I like to think I know what hasn't changed all that much in the life of a 13-year-old, there is some truth to that claim of hers she'll occasionally toss my way if I offer advice too soon--or too apparently dated. You just don't get it.

True enough, I'll admit. And in the next instant, I'll recognize--appropriately, with a touch of melancholy--that I am now on the other side of that invisible but undeniable line that Louis Armstrong acknowledged in his song What a Wonderful World:

I hear babies cry,
I watch them grow,
They'll learn much more,
Than I'll ever know. 


This is the toughest part of being a parent, the part that crashes down upon us suddenly during one of those exchanges with our children where we realize with crystal clarity that these once upon a time little people who looked to us for everything no longer see us as the person with all their answers. Don't get me wrong. This is as it should be. How could we have their answers when it takes a lifetime to process all of our own?

Psychologist Joseph Campbell is best known for his research in mythology and specifically for his extensive body of original work regarding the hero archetype in stories and legends. According to Campbell, many fictional stories and real-life narratives contain elements of the hero’s journey.  A prolific author, Campbell was fascinated by the human experience. He identified the hero's journey as having three distinct phases: Departure, Initiation and Return. Departure marks the beginning of the journey. The hero leaves her comfortable and familiar world and ventures into the darkness of the unknown. During the second stage of the journey, known as Initiation, the hero is subjected to a series of tests in which she must prove her character. Finally, in stage three, the hero comes home. This is the point of Return. Here, the hero brings her discovery, her wisdom, and all that she has gained from her journey back for the benefit of all. 

The hero's journey is about growth and survival. It's about weathering the rites of passage life has in store for us. The journey requires a separation from the comfortable, known world, and an initiation into a new level of awareness, skill, and responsibility, and then a return home. Each stage of the journey must be passed successfully if the initiate is to become a hero. To turn back at any stage is to reject the need to grow and mature. At stake is our willingness to pursue and fulfill a personal destiny, that tough job that the late writer-director Harold Ramis spoke about in his 2005 interview with Terry Gross, and which I quoted from here a couple of weeks ago. It's tough because it is so singular, meaning, we must face our choices--or the responsibility of the choices we make or do not make--all alone. At the same time, our journey here is immensely universal because we are all struggling with this experience of being human.

The March issue of The Sun features an interview with one of my favorite authors, Barbara Kingsolver. I  have learned a great deal from Kingsolver about the hard work of being human. She once counseled writers "to probe the tender spots of an imperfect world" when sitting down to paper and pen or keyboard and screen. This is sacred advice not only because it acknowledges the world's imperfections, but because it suggests we might make some progress toward accepting them with a little investigation and a bit of compassion. This is, after all, how the world is perfected, according to the philosopher Sri Aurobindo, by our stumbling, imperfectly lived lives. It is from Kingsolver in this most recent interview that I learn of her antidote for "bad" days, those days where she finds herself with nothing positive to say--despite her otherwise prolific nature--in the face of inexplicable events. When tenderness takes a holiday. It's a good antidote, one that I tuck into my own pages where I can reach for it as well. It's a quote attributed to the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr., who faced his share of the world's imperfection head-on. The late reverend said, "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice." I imagine director Steve McQueen and screenwriter John Ridley had an appreciation of that arc when they accepted awards for their work on the film "12 Years A Slave" last Sunday. In deference to MLK, Jr.'s words, I say, "Amen." My own first-hand lessons have taught me that the two toughest parts of the human experience are always about granting permission and extending forgiveness. And, like all of the toughest work, it begins with a look at ourselves. 


You just don't get it is the daily refrain delivered to me by my youngest. And I get that. She has a point. I will always have a new blind-spot to double-check or some old habit that needs reexamining. A perspective that adjusts like a pose that one day arrives with more ease. Change happens. Inhale. Exhale. There. It's happened again. I also know there is much my youngest doesn't yet get. She is at the threshold of her journey that will travel that long moral arc, and I offer her all the tenderness I can muster.

When I look back upon my own moral arc, like Dickens made his characters do in A Christmas Carol, I hope that I will marvel at not only the length of it, but the height of the arc as well. How high was I willing to reach? How far beyond the limitations I once set for myself was I willing to go? If we can hope for such a thing, I will hope to have learned about being gracious and tender toward my accumulated imperfections. I will hope to have learned that the stumbling fool I sometimes see all too clearly in myself was my one true teacher.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The dawn's early light

My husband is not a morning person. In fact, he would say that getting up early is for the birds. And, of course, he'd be right. Every bird worth its weight in feathers knows that the early morning is the best time to harvest worms and to sing its ode to the dawn's early light. While I have no interest in competing with the birds for their morning grubs--as long as they leave enough for the garden--I am, nonetheless, one of the flock when it comes to paying tribute to the dawn. According to the latest evidence in sleep research, this penchant for the dawn makes me a "lark," a morning person, someone who feels she is capable of her best work in the morning. Those who burn the candle at the other end of the day are known as "owls" because they, like their nocturnal namesakes, tend to be more productive in the evening. I imagine that if I talked to enough "owls," I would find that, like me, they have a special reverence for their particular time o

When good practice goes bad

I often joke with friends that in my next life I am going to be a dancer. I have a dancer's build and a good sense of balance, and I have always held a soft spot for ballerinas, gymnasts, acrobats, and the lithe bodies of street performers and mimes. While I am not necessarily good at following direction backward in a mirror, I have a decent sense of rhythm and spent a fair number of nights as a young adult on a dance floor where I escaped alcohol and drugs by getting lost in movement. I have gravitated toward sports and activities that promote graceful lines, powerful energy and a feeling of expansiveness. One of the many things I love about rock climbing is that I often feel like a dancer moving across stone. The height, the airy terrain, the play of the wind in my hair all add to the allure and keep me returning for more. Yoga is a natural fit for someone who likes to dance. And the discipline of ashtanga appeals to the inner gymnast in me that never had a shot at the balance

Out on a Limb, Sunday, March 9: Gratitude with Diana Christinson

If you missed today's live broadcast of Out on a Limb , click on the link below to hear me in conversation with Ashtanga yoga teacher Diana Christinson of Pacific Ashtanga Yoga in Dana Point. Our theme today: Gratitude. We talk about learning how to tune in to the present moment to cultivate gratefulness in our lives, which, like our yoga practice, is an art, a practice, a dance. Listen as Diana gives instructions for how to conduct and navigate our own "Google Search" of our lives lived daily. Here is the link to today's podcast at KX @ One Laguna: http://kx.onelaguna.com/podcasts/ Here is the link to find Diana Christinson and her shala Pacific Ashtanga in Dana Point, CA: http://www.pacificashtanga.com/ Finally, here is the link to Brother David Steindl-Rast's website: http://www.gratefulness.org/ Next week: Sunday, March 16 at 2 p.m. Join me for live conversation with Earth Scape artist Andres Amador. We will talk about the "sacred geometry