Skip to main content

Empty and clear

Early morning Thanksgiving in my part of the world, the sky was intensely red. The color seemed to leak into the leaves of the trees already marked by fall's color wheel, making them pop even redder. It reminded me of a morning last December. It was the morning before a friend's memorial, and I was out with the dog. The dog was engaged in his business, and I was engaged in mine. In that time before thoughts take over, I was enjoying the dawn air and light and sounds. I remarked then--and later at our friend's memorial as a way of paying tribute to times I'd spent with him and the directions our conversations would so often travel--at how the dawn light seemed to be bleeding into the trees, so much so that the color seemed to drain from the sky and into the trees' leaves right before my eyes. I wondered how science might explain this, this early morning illusion, this mystery at dawn.

This is the stuff I feel fortunate to witness. It makes me feel good. About me. You know, for having noticed. Like Jack Nicholson's character in the movie As Good As It Gets when he compliments Helen Hunt's character for her many states of grace, which he notices and others miss. He tells her that the fact that he notices makes him feel good...about himself. And why not? Why not celebrate our moments of epiphany as marks of our ability to be enlightened? Why not take credit for our occasional brushes with clarity? Why should we not admit that we are pleased or awed or humbled by the beauty we see or the acts of humanity we recognize for their goodness? Why should we not take credit for admitting wonder?

When W.S. Merwin wrote his ode to fellow poet John Berryman, Merwin was paying tribute to the lessons learned from this slightly senior mentor. In his poem, Merwin asks Berryman, "how can you ever be sure that what you write is any good at all," to which Berryman responds, basically, forget about it. "You can never be sure, you die without knowing, if you have to be sure don't write." I think what Berryman meant was that we have to lose our certainty, lose our sense of approval. If a thing is beautiful, if we recognize goodness, if we experience wonder, be happy that we did. Write the poem, the song, the novel; paint the picture; take the photograph; sculpt the marble, the iron, the stone; bake the bread; create the handiwork, and find it good. Isn't that, after all, what we've been told the Big Guy did at the close of each day of creation. He sat back, took in his labors, and proclaimed them to be good. If someone else notices--like Jack Nicholson's character was scripted to do--all the better. Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex instructed his nephew to always go this one step more. When something was particularly nice, Vonnegut remembers that his uncle would stop to say, "If this isn't nice, I don't know what is."

Tuesday after practice, I was in the market on one of my routine errands for milk or fruit or vegetables for our evening meal, when I ran into one of my fellow ashtangis. She had just been to class as well. In fact, we had practiced directly across from one another, indirectly bowing to one another in our many salutations to the sun (Surya namaskaras). And because Mysore practice does not have a set time for all yogis to start and end their session together, I do not always have the opportunity to talk with my fellow ashtangis. We might bow to one another or wave or applaud each other's efforts on the mat, but the practice does not allow for in-depth exchanges. Here, then, in the market, was a chance for introduction and conversation. We fell easily into an exchange about our practice, our teachers, our backgrounds. As sometimes will happen, we discovered plenty of mutual ground.

When we let our guard down, there's a transparency to us. Suddenly, we're real, we're genuine, we're fully present to someone else. Sometimes, then, we feel as though we have to pull this person in close for an embrace, like my fellow ashtangi did with me in the market on Tuesday. She suddenly proclaimed, "I feel like I have to hug you." The wonderful part was that she did not stop herself, and I thought, "If this isn't nice, I don't know what is."

I remember once reading about the painter Paul Cézanne and his attempt to express in his paintings first sight or what the eye first sees before it is clouded by thought. He was reaching in his art for an experience that pure, that elemental and essential. Recently I learned of two Vancouver dance choreographers, Martin Chaput and Martial Chazallon who took their art to the streets. Together they created a journey of the blind, in which seeing individuals sign up to be led around a metropolitan area by a guide while blindfolded. The choreographers' idea was to turn the tables on their spectators and plunge them into the world of the senses where they would be compelled to question our connection to the environment and others. Dance here then is presented as a voyage of emotions and sensations, encounters, discoveries and surprises. Like Cézanne's  attempt at first sight, but without the vision. One woman who had participated in Chaput and Chazallon's "dance" wondered aloud afterward how all of those sensations she experienced while blindfolded were transformed when she could see. In other words, what happened to them? Where did they go? This performance is called Tu vois ce que je veux dire? (Do you see what I mean?) And I think , yes, because I understand how what we truly see exists outside of language.

In Sanskrit, ashtanga means eight-limbed and refers to the eight limbs on the path of yoga as set forth by the ancient sage Patanjali in his Yoga Sutra. The eighth and final limb on this path is samadhi, which means enlightenment or clear seeing. Yoga teacher and author Rolf Gates writes that clear seeing must be more important than our certainty. On our mats, he says, the letting go must be that complete so that we can be very present and wholly real. In other words, according to Gates, empty and clear. The Sufi poet Rumi said it this way:

Listen, if you can stand to,
Union with the Friend means not being who you've been,
being instead silence: A place: A view
where language is inside seeing.

Namaste.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The dawn's early light

My husband is not a morning person. In fact, he would say that getting up early is for the birds. And, of course, he'd be right. Every bird worth its weight in feathers knows that the early morning is the best time to harvest worms and to sing its ode to the dawn's early light. While I have no interest in competing with the birds for their morning grubs--as long as they leave enough for the garden--I am, nonetheless, one of the flock when it comes to paying tribute to the dawn. According to the latest evidence in sleep research, this penchant for the dawn makes me a "lark," a morning person, someone who feels she is capable of her best work in the morning. Those who burn the candle at the other end of the day are known as "owls" because they, like their nocturnal namesakes, tend to be more productive in the evening. I imagine that if I talked to enough "owls," I would find that, like me, they have a special reverence for their particular time o

When good practice goes bad

I often joke with friends that in my next life I am going to be a dancer. I have a dancer's build and a good sense of balance, and I have always held a soft spot for ballerinas, gymnasts, acrobats, and the lithe bodies of street performers and mimes. While I am not necessarily good at following direction backward in a mirror, I have a decent sense of rhythm and spent a fair number of nights as a young adult on a dance floor where I escaped alcohol and drugs by getting lost in movement. I have gravitated toward sports and activities that promote graceful lines, powerful energy and a feeling of expansiveness. One of the many things I love about rock climbing is that I often feel like a dancer moving across stone. The height, the airy terrain, the play of the wind in my hair all add to the allure and keep me returning for more. Yoga is a natural fit for someone who likes to dance. And the discipline of ashtanga appeals to the inner gymnast in me that never had a shot at the balance

Out on a Limb, Sunday, March 9: Gratitude with Diana Christinson

If you missed today's live broadcast of Out on a Limb , click on the link below to hear me in conversation with Ashtanga yoga teacher Diana Christinson of Pacific Ashtanga Yoga in Dana Point. Our theme today: Gratitude. We talk about learning how to tune in to the present moment to cultivate gratefulness in our lives, which, like our yoga practice, is an art, a practice, a dance. Listen as Diana gives instructions for how to conduct and navigate our own "Google Search" of our lives lived daily. Here is the link to today's podcast at KX @ One Laguna: http://kx.onelaguna.com/podcasts/ Here is the link to find Diana Christinson and her shala Pacific Ashtanga in Dana Point, CA: http://www.pacificashtanga.com/ Finally, here is the link to Brother David Steindl-Rast's website: http://www.gratefulness.org/ Next week: Sunday, March 16 at 2 p.m. Join me for live conversation with Earth Scape artist Andres Amador. We will talk about the "sacred geometry