Skip to main content

A Course in Obstacles

"Life is all about living with obstacles. Everything's an obstacle." 

When your twelve-year-old utters a statement like this, you cannot help but remain quiet for fear the wisdom will fly straight out of the window instead of settling about you like fairy dust, ready to grant you, not necessarily the next desire on your long list of wishes, but a bit of perspective that had momentarily gone missing. Of course, such an utterance makes you speechless as a parent, too, because you suddenly become aware that your child is doing the thing she was meant to do. Not only is she growing up, she is growing beyond you as her parent, and, one day, she really will be living life on her own, which also means on her own terms.

It is a brave and foolish thing, raising children. From the get-go, they are both obstacle and source of transformation. (Not so very unlike all those yoga poses you intend to master.) Throughout your lives together, you are engaged in a dance of guilt and forgiveness. Sometimes the music changes, but more often, old scores are replayed. Only the partners--parent and child--remain constant. Occasionally, as parent, you get a glimpse of the good you have done, but it's more like a support beam in a home: Absolutely essential to the foundation, but otherwise a part of the background easily ignored. As it should be, I suppose. After all, it's difficult to maintain hero status in life. Just ask Lance Armstrong. Or anyone who tries to be a good step-parent, teacher, soccer referee, or (substitute role model of your choice).

My twentieth wedding anniversary is right around the corner, and because I married a man who had been married before, I not only said "I do" to a husband, my nuptial vows included an agreement to honor and protect his child, who was six on the day we were married. It's a good thing I was so entirely naive. Let's just say my learning curve was a whole lot steeper than the one I accepted when I took up the practice of Ashtanga at the age of 48. Now, looking back on my wedding day twenty years later, if I am honest, being naive was not the difficult part. The difficult part was expecting so much of myself, believing I had to be hero, savior and saint. Naturally, I also expected to enjoy the bliss of being a new bride. The truth is, when you expect this much of yourself, you expect the same of those around you, which, in this case meant my husband, his ex-wife and their child. And while expectation is not a bad thing, you can make a lot of people miserable when what you expect is unrealistic, particularly if you do not think it is.

Thanks to my current yoga and meditation practice, some earlier years in therapy, many, many, many, many, many (I could go on) mistakes, and a generous amount of humility and perseverance, after 20 years of marriage, I can acknowledge now that I was often my own greatest obstacle. I seem to have excelled at  being in my own way over and over again. But, then, where else would I have been? Is not this the place of the student, not at the foot of the master, but at the place of adversity? Or perhaps they are one in the same--the foot of the master is the place of adversity. Among the writings of St. John of the Cross is a poem called "Development." In it, St. John asks God, "How do you teach us?" Gods responds with the following analogy:  "If you were playing chess with someone who had infinite power and infinite knowledge and wanted to make you a master of the game, where would all the chess pieces be at every moment? Indeed, not only where he wanted them, but where all were best for your development."

Indeed, Indeed

In her book Poser, my life in twenty-three yoga poses, author Claire Dederer writes about yoga, of course, but also about her marriage, her family, her parents, her life, and her long-held ideas about how good we have to be. One of her musings about her marriage, with its unique brand of ordinary and disappointment and what-ifs, reveals this bit of wisdom, which I appreciate after so many years of living my own experience of the institution. Dederer writes: "Maybe each trial didn't make another chink in the armor of marriage, bringing it to its inevitable point: divorce. Maybe each trial made a marriage."

So, maybe each trial, every obstacle makes a marriage in the same way that our entire journey here--the hills and the valleys--makes a life. We don't get to pick and choose the parts we keep and the pieces we would prefer to leave unacknowledged. Of course, we can live this way, admitting no obstacles, and erasing or editing those we could not avoid. Like Mitt Romney's attempt to "etch-a-sketch" his way into the White House, we can choose to accept the illusion as the truth. However, I prefer to abide by the words of a fictional cripple who turns out to be the ultimate healer (and ultimately healed) in Barbara Kingsolver's formidable piece of literature The Poisonwood Bible. Looking back on all the lessons life taught her, Adah Price concludes, "We are the balance of our damage and our transgressions."

Life is all about living with obstacle. Everything's an obstacle. Interpreted correctly, that should make breathing a whole lot easier...at least for today.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The dawn's early light

My husband is not a morning person. In fact, he would say that getting up early is for the birds. And, of course, he'd be right. Every bird worth its weight in feathers knows that the early morning is the best time to harvest worms and to sing its ode to the dawn's early light. While I have no interest in competing with the birds for their morning grubs--as long as they leave enough for the garden--I am, nonetheless, one of the flock when it comes to paying tribute to the dawn. According to the latest evidence in sleep research, this penchant for the dawn makes me a "lark," a morning person, someone who feels she is capable of her best work in the morning. Those who burn the candle at the other end of the day are known as "owls" because they, like their nocturnal namesakes, tend to be more productive in the evening. I imagine that if I talked to enough "owls," I would find that, like me, they have a special reverence for their particular time o

When good practice goes bad

I often joke with friends that in my next life I am going to be a dancer. I have a dancer's build and a good sense of balance, and I have always held a soft spot for ballerinas, gymnasts, acrobats, and the lithe bodies of street performers and mimes. While I am not necessarily good at following direction backward in a mirror, I have a decent sense of rhythm and spent a fair number of nights as a young adult on a dance floor where I escaped alcohol and drugs by getting lost in movement. I have gravitated toward sports and activities that promote graceful lines, powerful energy and a feeling of expansiveness. One of the many things I love about rock climbing is that I often feel like a dancer moving across stone. The height, the airy terrain, the play of the wind in my hair all add to the allure and keep me returning for more. Yoga is a natural fit for someone who likes to dance. And the discipline of ashtanga appeals to the inner gymnast in me that never had a shot at the balance

Out on a Limb, Sunday, March 9: Gratitude with Diana Christinson

If you missed today's live broadcast of Out on a Limb , click on the link below to hear me in conversation with Ashtanga yoga teacher Diana Christinson of Pacific Ashtanga Yoga in Dana Point. Our theme today: Gratitude. We talk about learning how to tune in to the present moment to cultivate gratefulness in our lives, which, like our yoga practice, is an art, a practice, a dance. Listen as Diana gives instructions for how to conduct and navigate our own "Google Search" of our lives lived daily. Here is the link to today's podcast at KX @ One Laguna: http://kx.onelaguna.com/podcasts/ Here is the link to find Diana Christinson and her shala Pacific Ashtanga in Dana Point, CA: http://www.pacificashtanga.com/ Finally, here is the link to Brother David Steindl-Rast's website: http://www.gratefulness.org/ Next week: Sunday, March 16 at 2 p.m. Join me for live conversation with Earth Scape artist Andres Amador. We will talk about the "sacred geometry